WhatsApp? 💬

I am a 25-year-old guy, who lived in a time where the mode of communication was only mail, SMS, and phone call. At that time free internet was way costlier and didn't fit in a middle man's pocket.

In 2012, I stepped into my adult age. The technical revolution was in boom. From being dependent on SMS and phone call, we shifted to internet-based messaging applications. The Google Play Store's trend list was filled with WeChat, Line, and WhatsApp. It was like a boon to us. These applications were handy, rest you all aware. Honestly speaking I tried all of them, but the Line was decent and all of my gang was active on it.

With time, I become more and more dependent upon these applications, and I ended with WhatsApp as the primary messaging application. I still remember I was connected with my family, schoolmates, college mates, neighbors, and even college faculties (and a message away with WhatsApp). Things were balanced and good. During exams, this application transformed into a library. During the festival, this becomes the source for exchanging wishes. Anyway, WhatsApp became an integral part, and I was almost dependent upon this.

In 3rd year of my Btech course, I realized the world is active on WhatsApp. And this made me uncomfortable. I am a socially anxious person, who gets uncomfortable by seeing a herd of people around me. My contacts started to notice my statuses and I get a fear that people will start judging me. In turn, I stopped posting my random statuses. Slowly my WhatsApp account turned into a helpline number, where people reach to me only for a purpose. And, to be in the good book of them, I couldn't reply a simple "No".

Soon the telecom industry turned upside down with the surprise entry of JIO. Now phone calls and texting became almost free. One fine day, while returning back to my room from the office. A thought came up "Why am I still using WhatsApp?" I didn't have a valid answer. For me, WhatsApp was just an alternative to phone calls and SMS(which is now almost free). I am not in college for which I will need WhatsApp to exchange class notes. My friends are actually sharing flats with me, so I don't need to use  WhatsApp to contact those who are in the adjacent room. I attend video calls with my family on Hangout. And, the rest of the people do have my number so they can directly contact me on my phone. After brainstorming I decided to quit WhatsApp with the hope that I will be able to get rid of mean people for whom I exist in their need, and at least I will achieve peace of my mind.

Now it's been around 3 years. I am living happily without WhatsApp. And this lockdown made me realize I loose several good connections in this changeover (perhaps this was meant to be). Overall, I realized in the present era WhatsApp is essential to build connections in society. Instead of the need, WhatsApp is about the current trend. How much I will walk out of this trend, in end I will get more discomfort. If I don't adopt this trend, this society will call me outdated or stubborn. Maybe I need to admit that I am stubborn. Maybe right now while you reading this blog post I am actually thinking about using WhatsApp. Trust me, I am still confused right now.

Comments

Hey, have you read these interesting posts?

Shramshakti: The Love 🚆

An unexpected guest 🚪

Kalka-Shimla Mountain Railways 🚞